Seasonal Food Safety
Whether you are planning a small summer bbq with friends or a big holiday feast, make sure your plans include food safety to keep your guests happy and healthy.
Seasonal Food Safety Resources
- Candy Making at High Altitude
- Holiday Food Safety: Food Allergies
- Plan Ahead for Successful Holiday Meals
- Prepping Your Kitchen for the Holidays
- Kitchen Cleanse Checklist
- Safe Handling of Eggs in Holiday Foods
- Countdown to the Thanksgiving Holiday
| PDF |
Plan ahead to ease the countdown tension for your Thanksgiving meal.Turkey Basics: Handling Cooked Dinners
| PDF |
Recommendations for take-out, deli-prepared, or convenience turkey dinners.
- Turkey Basics: Safe Cooking
| PDF |
Roasting instructions and approximate cooking times.
- Turkey Basics: Safe Thawing | PDF |
A turkey must be kept at a safe temperature during thawing. Learn three safe methods.
- Turkey Basics: Stuffing | PDF |
For safety, prepare stuffing or dressing for the turkey according to these directions.
- Turkey from Farm to Table | PDF
Safe storage, handling, cooking methods and approximate cooking times (traditional and microwave) for turkey products. Information about inspection and labeling is included.
- Turkey Raised by the Rules | PDF |
Information about turkeys, from the time they are hatched on the farm until they make it home to the freezer.
- Smoking Meat & Poultry | PDF |
Where there’s smoke, there’s well-flavored meat and poultry. Using a smoker is one method of imparting natural smoke flavor to large cuts of meat, whole poultry, and turkey breasts.
YouTube Videos about Turkey:
Moms-To-Be and Seniors:
- Holiday or Party Buffets | PDF |
Festive times for giving and sharing should not include sharing foodborne illness
- Food Safety for Those Glorious Holiday Goodies! (PDF Only)
If any of your holiday recipes call for uncooked or lightly-cooked eggs, you can modify them by cooking the eggs thoroughly. From the Partnership for Food Safety Education.
- Mail Order Food Safety | PDF |
These tips, and a comprehensive storage chart, will help the purchaser and recipient determine if their perishable foods have been handled properly.
- Roasting Those “Other” Holiday Meats | PDF |
Rather than turkey, some families choose a rib roast; others, a ham; and some will have a butcher arrange a crown roast of lamb. For special holiday meals, the cook wants everything perfect — and perfectly safe.
- Dangerous Food Safety Mistakes
Simple mistakes can sometimes have grave consequences. Foodsafety.gov looks at common mistakes and the solution to them.